The Wavus Camps operated as a brother/sister camp, Wawanock for Girls and Damariscotta Camp for boys, from 1922 to 1976. The camp was closed in 1976 and was privately purchased. The property lay dormant until 1992. At this time, the 95-acre property was put up for sale and threatened with development. A group of former campers and local conservationists formed The Wavus Foundation with the intention of purchasing the property for "safe keeping". After reconnecting with over 2,000 former campers, this grassroots effort was accomplished. New programs based on Wavus traditions and the Wavus Medal Program have since rekindled the spirit of Wavus.
Wavus operated both as a resident and day camp in the early '90's. Infrastructure development and facility renovation, including the building of the new 200-seat dining hall and conference center, have prepared the way for the newly formed Kieve-Wavus Education, Inc. to continue facility upgrades in preparation for the start of our girls camp in 2006.
Wavus Camp for Girls in Jefferson is four miles north of Kieve's campus on Damariscotta Lake. The two campuses comprise over five miles of pristine lake frontage. During the two 3 ½ week sessions, (simultaneous with the dates of the Kieve Boys' Camp) girls aged 8-16 will make friends, develop individual skills and learn the value of teamwork and good sportsmanship, based on the original spirit of both camps.
Kieve-Wavus Education empowers people to contribute positively to society by promoting the values of kindness, respect for others, and environmental stewardship through year-round experiential programs, camps for youth and adults, and guidance from inspirational role models..
A revered legendary chief, who with his people inhabited the Point long ago.