The Leadership School offers a variety of programs which provide students with experiences to encourage responsible decision-making, build and maintain healthy relationships, broaden and raise aspirations, and improve 21st century skills. We use the experiential model to provide students with opportunities to introduce new concepts, vocabulary, issues, and problems, provide opportunities to practice and experience their application and opportunity to reflect to apply new learning to their daily lives. We also offer workshops for educators and parents.
Leadership School programs include:
Learning Together Parent Workshops
- Traditionally 3-5 days in length.
- Take place on the Kieve campuses on the shores of Damariscotta Lake, Maine.
- TLS Educators provide 24 hr/day programming and supervision.
- The class day begins at 8 am and goes until 3pm. Choice Time and Evening Program activities take place until lights out.
- Student activities and classes focus on providing opportunities for students to strengthen communication skills, practice positive risk taking, form and maintain healthy relationships, raise aspirations, and create physically and emotionally safer school climates.
- Students are provided three meals and three snacks per day
- Students are housed in energy efficient winterized cabins.
- Teachers from the sending school are encouraged to take part in an Educators' Workshop offered during the Residential Program (see details below)
- Parents are encouraged to attend the half-day Learning Together Parent Workshop (see details below)
- Over half of the cost of each program is underwritten by Kieve-Wavus Education, Inc.
- Typically, a half-day workshop for the educators attending with their students.
- Designed to strengthen and improve professional and personal goals.
- Discussion revolves around how teachers can bring the tools, techniques, and The Leadership School message back to their own schools.
- Strengthens the in-school education team.
- Contact hours are available.
Learning Together Parent Workshops
- A half-day workshop for parents and guardians
- Includes a campus tour and community building activities
- Concludes with a slideshow, closing activity, and lunch with students
- Offered on the final day of many residential programs. Please check with your child's school to confirm.
Sample Learning Together Schedule (For schools departing at noon)
- 9:00 am -- 9:30 am: Parents arrive, coffee and snacks in Pasquaney
- 9:30 am -- 10:50 am: Parents Learning Together Workshop while students complete final team challenges.
- 10:50 am - 11:15 am: Slideshow and closing activity with students
- 11:15 am: Lunch with your child (if you can't join us earlier, feel free to come just for lunch)
- 12:00 noon: Departure
- A $10 donation is suggested.
- Traditionally a 1-3 day format
- Takes place at the participating school and/or community
- Includes the same (but condensed) course work and options as the Residential Program
- Facilitated by one Leadership School teacher per approximately twenty students
- Can Include an optional Parent Night to discuss the materials that the students are being exposed to, as well as giving tools to bring the messages of The Leadership School into the home and community.
- Can Include an Educators Workshop.
- Our portable climbing wall is available for an additional fee
- Half the cost of each program is underwritten by Kieve-Wavus Education, Inc.